Friday, February 20, 2009

It's Pulling Me In

I think if you ask anyone who has children what the whole process is like, they will all say how special it is, but then sort of chuckle and give you the "You don't know what you're in for" line. If you ask any grandparent the same question, I think they will say that it is special, but then sort of chuckle and say "Our kids hate it because we spoil our grandchildren rotten." But I digress...

Anyway, my point is, I know that raising a child is going to be very very hard. I also know how rewarding it will be. When people laugh at me and tell me how funny it will be when I will only get 2 hours of sleep every night, I hear what they are saying and I know that they speak the truth. I love sleep...a LOT...and I don't want to lose it, but something is still not computing.

All right, so that wasn't my point, and this isn't either...My boss has told me the story (several times) of his childbirthing class experience. He has two children, and when the first was born, he wasn't able to be at the classes. When his second was born, he was able to go. Of course this meant that they were the only couple who had already had a child and knew "what they were in for". He said everyone else was all starry-eyed and excited to enter the magical land of parenting. He and his wife, complete with the tell-tale discheveled hair and spitup-stained shoulders, just sort of scoffed at them the whole time. He said they weren't very popular.

Once again, I hear that story and I know that he is right...

And now, my point...I am scared to death at the thought of being a father. BUT, I am still starry-eyed and excited to enter the magical land of parenting. I dream about our baby... and they aren't all good dreams either...the other night, I had to change Hannah's diaper...in my dream! Let me tell you, changing diapers in your dreams is really a weird experience... and I think about her when I am at work. Michelle printed me a copy of the 3-D ultrasound picture which is hanging on my desk next to my computer monitor. I just stare at her while I am supposed to be working, and I just can't wait to meet her.

So I said all that to say this...I guess I am falling for the lure of the new firstborn baby, and I am really okay with that.


PS - Once again, this is Eric showing excitement. Take it where you can get it...

2 comments:

  1. It is a joy to my heart to read about your thoughts, dreams and your excitment. Truth is, no one is ever really prepared to be a parent but, like everything else in life, it is a-day-at-a-time journey. There are many different stages and they require self-sacrifice, work and perseverence, yet at the same time, bring incredible joy. The rewards are so great!! Children are God's gift to us, loaned to us for a few, short years. I tell people, "You have only one opportunity to raise your child. Once those years are gone, they are gone. Spend lots of quality time with your child and strive to have a good balance of love and discipline." Like I said, it's a day at a time. God gives the grace for each day. We all make mistakes with our kids because there is no perfect parent but our God is a forgiving God and is our ever-present help in time of trouble, giving us wisdom and direction. We learn as we go. (Very helpful to me were Christian, child-rearing books). You will love that little Hannah beyond words and I know you and Michelle feel that love already! God bless you guys!! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so excited for you guys. We can't wait to meet Hannah!!

    ReplyDelete