Saturday, March 28, 2009

Baby Basics

Today, we went to a parenting class called Baby Basics. The first part of the class we watched a video about the different things babies need during the first few months of their life, and then we practiced fake bathing fake babies, and swaddling them and changing their diapers. Here's a video I took of Eric practicing swaddling...

We also learned about things that are normal to be seen on a newborn, such has "stork bites" (red marks on their face and neck), puffy eyes, and a cone-shaped head. Although, if my baby comes out with a cone-shaped head, I have to say, I might be a bit disturbed... no matter how "normal" it may be! Towards the end of the session, we learned about what kind of poop to look for in different stages. Our instructor assured us that we would one day be very interested in every kind of poop... yellow poop, green poop, grainy poop, watery poop... the list went on. And on. And on.

After lunch, we spent the afternoon learning about breastfeeding. I was very proud of Eric for paying attention almost the whole time. It was only towards the end, when they were talking about breast pumps, that Eric started to get restless (or maybe it was the fact that UConn was tipping off at just that moment!) We were both in awe of some of the facts we learned; it truly is amazing how God created mother's bodies to provide the exact nutrition that babies need. I also didnt know that depending on what the baby needs at what time, breast milk changes. So, when the baby is going through a growth spurt, there are more calories; or when the baby is sick, there are more antibodies. Now, that's pretty cool.

5 comments:

  1. Very good, Eric:) Now, I swear Hannah will get out of the swaddle at some point.... you have to make it super tight. My friend even used duct tape one night when her daughter wouldn't stay in the swaddle and kept waking up-ha! Oh, I cannot count the number of times Scott and I have talked about Addie's poop. I think we have probably even mentioned it on a date... oh, how things have changed:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an informative class! It's good to know what to expect and what to do. I think the only class we ever went to was on how to breathe during labor. (I didn't bother to practice that and was sorry later!) I never knew about the changing breast milk according to the baby's needs. That is amazing! You'll be busy & tired but it's all worth it and you'll be good parents and will enjoy your gift from God! Thanks for sharing about your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great class! Jason and I laughed out loud at the video. And yes, I agree, about the poop. They wouldn't let us leave the hospital with Jasmine until she pooped (she was jaundice) and man, we were praying for poop! Life certainly does change but it's all good! I MISS YOU!!! Can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited for you! I feel the same way about God providing just what baby needs. After Maylee was born 11 weeks early I learned that the milk I had for her was more fatty than normal milk. She didn't pick up on nursing, so I pumped milk for her for every feeding for about 11 months. I am so glad that I did. She has not been really sick, except for the typical runny noses and fevers she gets periodically.
    I think you are going to be a great mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sky and Brad had stork bites after they were born. And Sky took so long to be born that she pooped in the birth canal and had to be suctioned after she was born. Thankfully it was all fine... Those first meconium poops are like tar-really weird!
    It sounds like a great class! I'm so excited for you guys and can't wait til Hannah makes her appearance.

    ReplyDelete