Monday, June 22, 2009

One Month Musings and First Father's Day Reflections

This is Eric...

I know it has been a while since I posted so I thought I'd take this opportunity to make up for that.


I've known Hannah for a little over a month and I wanted to share my feelings on how it has been going.


So far, she has been everything we could have hoped for. She is beautiful, healthy, calm, alert, and lovable. We have learned how to read her emotions and get her to respond to our interaction with her.

It is still hard to believe that she is really a part of this family. I look at her and see a little bit of both of us (mostly Michelle though). I think its funny how everyone in our extended families want to assign a part of her anatomy to them. If everyone's observations were correct, her hair would have come from 8 family member, her eyes from four of us, her cheeks from everyone who was ever a baby, etc. The truth is, God formed her and all of her little parts exactly how He wanted them. She is God's perfect little girl.

I can't say that I've seen a lot of change in her from when we brought her home, but I know she has. She has probably already had several growth spurts and her hair is definitely still growing. We were glad to see her weight get above her birth weight finally and she is actually into double digits now.

I do feel bad about the whole middle of the night thing. For the first few weeks, Michelle had to be the source of Hannah's food every time she wanted to eat. I tried to help out and change her or calm her down and get her to sleep, but I still felt like Michelle was and is really being worn down. It got a little better when she started pumping, but not all that much. Plus, she has been gracious enough to not ask me to help on work nights. I say all that because I want you (and Michelle) to know how proud I am of how she has taken to this whole motherhood thing. I know she had worries and fears before Hannah was born, but I think they were all unnecessary.

So, one month has gone by and I realize now that all of the books I read prepared me mentally for our little girl, but not really for the reality of her. Thankfully, she has been great and made it as easy as she probably could. The hardest part of my day is leaving her in the morning, and the best part is when I get home and have my "Hannah time".

I can't wait to see what happens next month...

1 comment:

  1. Once again, Eric, thank you for sharing your deep thoughts and feelings! My heart is truly, truly blessed!! Hannah has a wonderful daddy and mommy who love her and each other so much! That precious, little one is so blessed! Proud of you guys and so happy for you! Love & hugs to you all!

    ReplyDelete