Sunday, May 24, 2009

The first few days...

I can't believe that as I'm writing this, Hannah is already 5 days old! The first few days have flown by and we have been loving every minute of them! I'm still pretty tired and the doctor is having us wake Hannah up every 3 hours to eat, so naps are a blessing. Eric has been amazing at waking up with us at night and doing stuff around the house... and he's absolutely incredible with Hannah. My friend Julie told me once that when you see your husband with your new baby, that you fall in love with him all over again and that is definitely true!

So, here's a rundown of our first days together!

Wednesday night: I avoided eating deli meat my entire pregnancy because it was on the do not eat list, so I had only one request for my first after delivery meal... Jimmy John's! It's my all-time favorite sandwich place thanks to my years at Duke and their turkey sandwich rocks my world. So, my dad went to Jimmy John's and then to Sonic for a big ol' Dr. Pepper for me... it was great.

Eric and I spent most of this night just staring at Hannah and looking at each other with googly eyes... absolutely amazed that we had created this new life. Hannah got her first bath and we discovered that just like her momma, she loves to have her hair brushed!




Thursday: Our community group leaders Michael and Leigh came to visit us in the hospital, and we met with the pediatrician who told us Hannah was doing great... everything sounded good and she was very healthy, so we were happy to hear that! My mom and dad came for part of the day and hung out with us in the hospital, and I got to have Jimmy John's again for lunch (what can I say... I am obsessed!)


Friday: We left the hospital around 1 pm and after going to get my medicine and lunch (I'm embarrassed to say where), we made our way home. It was so much fun to bring Hannah inside and show her all around her fancy new digs... It was amazing to me that after all those months of putting her room together, she was finally there. We had a very relaxing Friday night at home; we were all able to take naps that afternoon and then our friends and neighbors Hilary, Jamey, Calla and Carter come over to meet Calla and Carter's new friend! Our first night at home was pretty good... we were up every 3 hours and Hannah seemed to adjust to the new surroundings well.




Saturday: On Saturday, my friend Cari and her mother and sister came to visit us and Hannah got lots of people time. She is so good about not fussing when other people hold her, so we hope she continues that! Cari is pregnant and due in November, so it will be exciting that Hannah will be so close in age to her child (we won't know if it's a boy or girl until June 10th). Saturday evening my parents came over for dinner and some more Hannah time. Saturday night was a bit more challenging than Friday night - Hannah stayed awake from 4 to 7, but Eric stayed up with her the whole time while I slept, and then he went back to bed once I woke up to feed her. Not a bad system, but when Eric goes back to work, that probably won't happen :)



Sunday: We had a very lazy Sunday, with all of us staying in our pajamas most of the day. It was nice to just relax and have some quality family time.


Today is Memorial Day and we had a cookout with some of my family - my mom and dad, my Aunt Pam, Uncle Larry, cousins Zach and Ethan and Zach's wife Katie. It was great for Hannah to get to meet more of her new family and she actually was awake for a good part of the afternoon, which was awesome. She had her eyes open and just stared at everyone and everything and was so great.


Of course now that everyone has gone home and it's just the three of us again, Hannah is sound asleep in Eric's arms... a familiar position. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment